LEADERS IN INNOVATION FOR SUSTAINABLE FLEXIBLE PACKAGING
Since 1945 Sacchital Group designs, develops and produces innovative, sustainable and highly performing flexible packaging for some of the world’s biggest food and pharma consumer brands.
With a deeply-rooted tradition and a strong experience in the print of paper, Sacchital Group has developed and tested PaperCompost HB®: the innovative 100% compostable packaging, based on paper and biopolymer, with high barrier properties.
100% COMPOSTABLE AND DESIGNED FOR INDUSTRIAL COMPOSTING, PAPERCOMPOST HB® CAN BE COLLECTED IN BIO-WASTE AND – UNDER INDUSTRIAL COMPOSTING CONDITIONS– IT BREAKS DOWN WITHIN 8 WEEKS, TURNING INTO COMPOST, AN EXCELLENT NATURAL FERTILIZER FOR THE SOIL.
WHO WE ARE
Sacchital Group works with passion, know-how and creativity to search for innovative and sustainable solutions in flexible packaging.
A constant R&D activity, the careful selection of raw materials and the use of cutting-edge technologies to achieve the highest quality standards in terms of print and product performances are the distinctive brand values.
Over the decades, these values made the company become a reference in Research&Innovation for flexible packaging, establishing long-term business relationships with international companies of the food and pharma industry.
As part of the Compoflex System® product range developed by Sacchital, PaperCompost HB® has obtained the TÜV OK COMPOST INDUSTRIAL certification in compliance with the European regulation UNI EN 13432 and it was tested during several shelf-life testings in order to ensure its safety and high barrier properties, especially when requested by the specific product category.
PaperCompost HB® has been certified as compliant with good manufacturing practices(GMP) and as food contact approved, in order to prevent the transfer of chemical constituents to the food and therefore avoid:
- Risks for human health
- A significative alteration in the product’s composition
- A deterioration in the organoleptic characteristics of the product.
The design of a 100% compostable packaging implies a strong and in-depth technical knowledge ranging from raw materials to their methods of use. PaperCompost HB® is the result of years of R&D Activity in collaboration with the entire supply chain. According to EN 13432, a packaging material can befined as “compostable” if it is designed in such a way as to meet well-defined requirements. At the same time, it must show specific physical properties and runnability to be functional and suitable for industrial processing.
What makes a packaging compostable according to regulatory requirements?
The main characteristics that the compostable packaging has to achieve are biodegradability, disintegrability, no negative output within the process of composting, and very little existence of heavy metals or a bad effect on the quality of the compost.
In Europe, the norm UNI EN 13432 determines the following “compostable” criteria:
- Disintegration – the packaging sample is mixed with organic waste and maintained under test scale composting conditions for 12 weeks after which time no more than 10% of material fragments are allowed be larger than 2 mm.
- Biodegradability – a measure of the actual metabolic, microbial conversion, under composting conditions, of the packaging sample into water, carbon dioxide and new cell biomass. Within a maximum of 180 days (6 months), biodegradation of the test sample must generate an amount of carbon dioxide that is at least 90% as much as the carbon dioxide given off from the control/reference material.
- Quality of the final compost and ecotoxicity: absence of any negative effect on the composting process.
- Low levels of heavy metals (Potentially Toxic Elements) and no adverse effect of the quality of compost produced.
The composted packaging material must not have adverse effect on the bulk density, pH, salinity (electrical conductivity), volatile solids, total nitrogen, total phosphorus, total magnesium, total potassium and ammonium nitrogen characteristics of the compost.
Sacchital Group Innovation
Our Know-How in the packaging-design process has prevented the thin, metallized film with barrier properties from being damaged during processing, optimizing the packaging process and carefully selecting the composition and thickness of paper and adhesive materials in order to achieve:
- High speed runnability
- Low thickness and High definition print with compostable inks
- High Barrier Properties
- Shelf-life Guaranteed